upbeat instrumental

Thursday, March 24, 2016

friend or lover? check one


i always procrastinate these posts,
i guess that's a typical teenager right?
waits until the last minute to do everything, you know?

that's not why i wait
i wait because i'm self-conscious
i'm self conscious of my writing, my thoughts, my ideas,
myself

i guess that's why i wait.

you wrote the word zap on my arm and told me to read the other side at 3:45 when you were safely on a bus going home to your house, far enough away that you wouldn't see what i read.

you wrote your name on my arm,
you wrote that i love you.
the next day you passed me a note;
friend or lover? check one please

i checked the latter.............

as each quarter passes, the hallways get less and less crowded.
as each quarter passes, more and more people decide what they're going to do after,
move to a remote location halfway across the world, preaching foreign people foreign ideas about god,
or move away to a college campus, meet new people,
the hallways buzz with excitement, for summer, for freedom, for the end of this 4-year journey that started when we were just 14.

we take for granted our wins and losses,
we take for granted the childhood that treated us so well
we take for granted this experience, an experience that brought both pain and joy.

maybe a year from today i'll be envying the high school students
and wishing to be back under those lights,

those friday night lights........
and maybe i'll wish i hadn't taken that note for granted, 
friend or lover? check one please. 

but, it's like whatever. 

6 comments:

  1. "maybe a year from today i'll be envying the high school students
    and wishing to be back under those lights"

    okay this is so good and also THE ZAP THING I USED TO DO THAT ALL THE TIME I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT IT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooove this. I relate to this so much! Good job. So beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. Like, so so much. You're such a good writer!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "but, it's like whatever."

    Frickin yes. This takes me back to middle school. I wonder if I'll miss high school in a year or if I'll be as glad that it ended as I am that I never have to go back to middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same same same
    This is so good, I think I'll miss highschool but somedays I think nah can't wait for college

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how you begin with a specific memory and expanded to high school in general and linked all sorts of thoughts and wow this is just really good

    ReplyDelete