upbeat instrumental

Thursday, February 11, 2016

love, have we met before?


was that you on the fourth of july, staring me in the face as we watched the fireworks down below
was that you last summer, whispering to me with the windows down
was that you back in seventh grade, or was i too young then
love have we met?

because that wasn't you through those pickup truck speakers, blasting out the same old country hits
i know that wasn't you when i kissed her at midnight on new years eve
i know that wasn't you when i held her hand for the first time
my hands clamming up and feeling sweaty under the pressure
i know that wasn't you when i kissed her after the football game
the win being a perfect reason to do so
love, when are we gonna' meet?

because i didn't recognize you in the fog of people surrounding me
because your bittersweet sting, i have never felt before
because the only beat i hear isn't coming from my own heart
because those lyrics are set to repeat repeat repeat
because i my world is constant, predictable as was breaking on the shore
love, will i feel different when we meet?

will i finally get that feeling, the feeling you get with a first kiss
will i get to feel that bittersweet sting, the product loving someone else
will i finally get to cry, simply because my love is in pain
will i finally care about a cause greater than myself
will i finally see in color, after years of black and white
love how long do i have to wait?

i hope it you touch will feel electric
like static throughout my body
your kiss as real as the feeling of nostalgia i feel
i hope you will be worth it, 
even when i feel the vivid sting of heartbreak

love, i hope we meet someday

4 comments:

  1. Love and I have gotten acquainted through this post... what more can I say? This is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "because that wasn't you through those pickup truck speakers"
    "because the only beat i hear isn't coming from my own heart"
    "because those lyrics are set to repeat repeat repeat"
    Sooo many good lines. #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  3. because the only beat i hear isn't coming from my own heart

    Wooooowwww this whole thing. Just so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "even when i feel the vivid sting of heartbreak" Awesome word choice.

    ReplyDelete