upbeat instrumental

Thursday, April 14, 2016

It's story time, kids

A loud thud followed by a scraaaaaape filled the air. All eyes on the beach turned to see what the source of the disturbance was. I alone started laughing, to everyone's dismay. Why are you laughing? Those around me questioned my reaction. 

It all started with a Sunday meeting, during which youth leaderships and adult advisers were to decide on monthly youth activities for the coming year. "Let's go boating", some 12 year old suggested. And that's just what we decided to do. 

The lake was deer creek. It was August. 95 degree weather. Perfect for a nice day on the lake with hamburgers and hotdogs for dinner afterward. My dad had been asked if he would travel up to the lake with out family's boat. He agreed, and I was his trusty assistant, ready and willing to take captaincy of the boat while my father backed down the truck to launch the boat. But, to my dismay, another adult had come in the car with us, and it was he whom my father trusted to drive the boat while he launched the thing. I reluctantly agreed with the plan, and everything went smoothly while launching the boat. 

We had a fun day on the lake, the hamburgers and hotdogs were all eaten, the Oreos devoured, and the watermelon consumed. A successful day on the lake, and a good wholesome youth activity. Everyone started packing up the beach, and I went to my father to see if he needed help trailering the boat. I then asked my dad if I could drive the boat while he backed the car down the ramp. I had never piloted the boat while trailering it, but I had watched my father do it dozens of times , and I felt confident in my fourteen year old driving ability. But my father, seeing as I had never done it before, decided to ask Mr. Olson, the man who had launched it with my father earlier. "Yup I've done it before, yep, it'll be fine, I'll do it," Mr. Olson insisted. 

So, i was on the beach, chatting with friends when I heard it, a loud thud followed by a scraaaaaape. That was when I started laughing. "Sorry," Mr. Olson said. "I guess I haven't actually done it before, I've just seen it and it didn't look too difficult." 

Mr. Olson had accelerated the boat too fast and completely rammed the hull of the boat into the back of our pickup. "At least the boat's not damaged," I told my father on the drive home. Mr. Olson, not in our car, had decided to hitch a ride with someone else on the trip home. 

1 comment:

  1. oooooooooooh

    sometimes seeing something done isn't the same thing as actually doing it

    ReplyDelete